Finding the right sporting goods and apparel can sometimes be a frustrating event. It seems like there are an endless supply of stores, but of these which are the best?
Below is a listing of some of the top places to find sporting goods on the Internet. Some of these also have brick and mortar stores, so if there is one in your area, you can go and try on or test out the merchandise before you buy it.
Dick's Sporting Goods
- Dick's is a large national chain whose slogan is "Dedicated to the Dedicated." Their selection is large and they carry most every name brand you can look for. Their prices are not bottom barrel, but they do run weekly specials that you can access by clicking on the "Weekly Circular" link at the bottom of their homepage.
The Sports Authority
- TSA is unique in that its website and brick and mortar stores are essentially run by two different companies. Because of this the selection on Internet vs brick and mortar differ drastically and the downside is that you cannot return items purchased online at your local store.
- The Sports Chalet is a publicly traded company generally with large brick and mortar stores. They specialize in all sports ranging from common one to more abstract or unique sports.
Academy Sports + Outdoors
- Academy Sports + Outdoors has retail stores located in the southeastern United States and focuses on both traditional and outdoor sports. They offer low prices, which sometimes translates into prior year models, but if you don't care about that they are a very reputable dealer.
Modell's Sporting Goods
- If you are from, or have visited the Northeast, you have probably heard of Modell's. People outside that area may not have, but that shouldn't deter you from visitng their stores. As one of the oldest sporting goods stores in the country, "Mo's" does a fine job of offering products for every rec athlete.
- Paragon is a one store operation, but with a large online presence. They claim to have 30,000 items online and 50,000 items in their store, so if you happen to be in New York and are looking for athletic supplies, your best bet is to head on over to their flagship store.
- Eastbay was one of the first nationwide retail chains designed with the athlete in mind. From the early days of mailed catalogs to today's Internet age, Eastbay is a great resource for all athletes. They are especially good at customizing uniforms and gear for team use.
Play It Again Sports
Play It Again Sports probably the most famous used sporting good store in the country. If you don't mind hand me downs, you can save 50%-80% on most all goods in the store.
So the next time you are in the market for some sporting goods, keep the above retailers in mind, as you are sure to find exactly what you want.